October has swung around again with its cooler weather, glorious autumnal colours and increasingly shorter days. While we’re starting to think about hunkering down for winter, all across the country people are taking incredibly positive steps to improve their health by quitting smoking for good.
Each year in the UK October is the month of Stoptober, 31 days of action dedicated to encouraging and supporting the *millions of people in the UK who are addicted to nicotine. (* In the UK, in 2019, 14.1% of people aged 18 years and above smoked cigarettes, which equates to around 6.9 million people in the population - www.ons.gov.uk).
While this month rolls on, it’s not too late to get on board and take those positive steps to sorting out your own addiction or reliance on cigarettes. Need some help? Read on for some motivation and tips on quitting smoking for good.
Did you know?
If you can make it to 28 days smoke-free you’re 5 times more likely to quit for good.
Stopping smoking not only improves your physical health but is also proven to boost your mental health and wellbeing. Quitting can improve your mood and help relieve stress, anxiety and depression.
There are myriad benefits to stopping smoking and an equal amount of ways to quit the habit. But here are our top tips to help you on the road to success and a healthy, cigarette-free life.
How to Quit Smoking for Good
- Write a dedication to yourself committing to stopping
- Set a date in the calendar for stopping day
- List your reasons for quitting. When the going gets tough you can refer to this as a motivational reminder.
- Tell those around you that you’re quitting. You’ll need their support
- Throw away ALL of your cigarettes/tobacco etc
- Keep cravings at bay by staying busy and using distraction techniques. Try using a stress ball to keep your hands occupied
- Exercise when you feel the urge to smoke
- Make a list of your smoking triggers and put a plan together for avoiding them
- Join a support group. This could be one of the most effective steps you take.
- Remember that you are on your journey to a better way of living and a healthier, happier you.
Need more motivation?
You’re about to make a great decision to give up cigarettes. That means you’re half way there! Why not check out our blog on The Positive Effects on Quitting Smoking to see exactly what happens to your body in the hours, days, months and years after you give up smoking?
Need more help to improve your health? We're always here to help so get in touch today.
For all your Medical and Homecare supplies give us a call at Mediworld.
We have over 40 years experience in medical, surgical, mobility and home health supplies and we're always on hand to chat if you need support or advice. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and don't forget to read our other great health blogs!